If your child is absent from school you are required to contact the school office as early as possible. Please email the school office at the following address email@example.com with your Child’s full name, class and the reason for absence.
You are welcome to read our full attendance policy on the website but a summary is contained below:
• Parents have a legal duty to ensure that their children attend school regularly and on time. Research shows that lower attendance, particularly anything under 95%, has a detrimental impact on their learning and progress which is why the government, local authorities and schools encourage good attendance.
• Apart from illness, children should attend school every day and we ask that routine medical / dental appointment are arranged out of the school day. For shorter notice events e.g. school taster days, hospital appointments, funerals etc, please continue to email the office regarding these as they are usually authorised as necessities.
• All other leave needs to be requested via the Leave of Absence request form e.g. to attend a sports tournament / camp. The school looks at the current and previous year’s attendance to see that attendance is 97% or more as part of its decision making.
• Holidays taken in term time is unauthorised. It is still essential you inform us you are going so that we know your child is safe. If the absence is unauthorised, and the leave is still taken the case may be referred to the Local Authority who may issue a Penalty Notice.
o Penalty Notices are issued to each parent of each child and the amount of the penalty will be £120 to be paid within 28 days, reduced to £60 if paid within 21 days. Failure to pay the penalty in full at the end of the 28 day period may result in prosecution by the Attendance Service. A Penalty Notice may be issued when a pupil has been absent for 10 or more half day sessions (5 school days) without authorisation during any 100 possible school sessions or period of 50 school days – these absences do not need to be consecutive.
• Any holiday taken without requesting leave first, is automatically unauthorised as leave cannot be authorised retrospectively.
All Leave of Absent requests need to be submitted to the school by the deadlines on the weekly newsletter for consideration by a panel of myself and governors. We will get a response to your request within five school days following the hearing.